Can't Post? It could be Norton!

View Previous Topic | View Next Topic

Posted: May 10, 2006 6:10 pm

# 1

DestinaFaroda

ProfileSend Private MsgEmailWebsiteAIMY!IMMSNM

Total Forum Posts: 0

I don't know where to put this, but I feel I have to write this as a public service announcement.  If someone is having trouble posting on the forums and has Nortion Internet Security installed on his or computer, it could be because Norton by default does not let browser information be shown to websites.  One has to go into the Internet Security settings to the Web Content tab to change this.  Simply add "paperdemonmedia.com" manually by using the "Add Site" button, then change from the default setting of Block to Permit on the first items.  Then the posting box will show up.

Prior to this edit, I had written above that Norton by default does not let information about sites visited be distributed.  This is true.   Although one can easily change this setting from  from the same screen, further testing has shown it is not absolutely necessary.  However, recommend changing both as many websites use browser information and information about visited sites to deteremine that you as a user are an actual person and not an automated harvester or spammer.

Note that this is not the only cause of the forums suddenly becoming inaccessible, and this may not work for all versions of Norton.   I list this as a likely solution for a problem.

Edited for clarity and because it was (and probably is) FULL of typos.

Last edited by DestinaFaroda on May 11, 2006 2:25 pm. Total edits: 2.

Posted: May 10, 2006 8:51 pm

# 2

Susie

Site Administrator

ProfileSend Private MsgWebsiteICQAIMY!IMMSNM

Wow this is good information. Thank you for posting this. I will sticky it.
---
Dragonball Z; the gateway drug of anime

Last edited by Susie on May 10, 2006 8:51 pm. Total edits: 1.

Posted: May 11, 2006 2:30 pm

# 3

DestinaFaroda

I found out that a lot of forums and sites will simply block your access because the browser doesn't leave information, be it about the browser itself or visited sites.  Even Hotmail won't work properly under the default settings.  Chances are if you're using Norton and getting a funny error that no one else is getting, it's Norton.

Last edited by DestinaFaroda on May 11, 2006 2:30 pm. Total edits: 1.

Posted: May 11, 2006 8:46 pm

# 4

Susie

Site Administrator

Could you describe exactly what it was that was happening, the error message you received, and on what pages? That could help me a lot to understand the problem. Perhaps there is a change I can make to my software to compensate for this problem.
---

Posted: May 12, 2006 3:02 pm

# 5

DestinaFaroda

What was happening is that the actual posting client (text box and buttons) did not load.  As a result, when I was previously taken to the reply screen, there was nowhere for me to type my message.  Everything else on the page loaded smoothly, though.

This didn't affect the Chatbox, though, for some reason.  I did post there with no problem.

Posted: May 12, 2006 3:16 pm

# 6

Susie

Site Administrator

Ok that helps me out a lot. The text box we have here in the forums is rather special. It's called the FCK Editor. I didn't write the software for the editor but obtained it from the FCK Editor website. I will see if I can pass on this info to the creators of it.

The reason the chatbox worked was because it doesn't use the FCK editor.
---

By browsing this site, you agree to the Terms of Service.

Legend:     Administrator     Moderator     Jr. Moderator     Staff Member

This website contains content of a mature nature and is NOT intended for children. For information about the mature content of this site, please visit our page on the Internet Content Rating Association website. This website is part of the BogusRed Network